Top Ten List
Ten fun facts about the book: Trouble Blows West
1) Ginnie's teacher, Mrs. Johnson, is based on my high school creative writing teacher, Mrs. Marion Joyce Johnson.
2) Mrs. Johnson, my teacher, is the mother of astronaut Gregory H. Johnson--he piloted the Space Shuttle Endeavor twice.
3) Colonel Gregory H. Johnson read Trouble Blows West and wrote a Foreword for it.
4) Heart of the Wests (Ginnie's home) is a real place in Ohio.
5) The blonde girl on the cover (Gracie--who is modeling for Ginnie) lives in the real West Farmhouse.
6) The brunette girl on the cover (Jessie--who is modeling for Tillie)--is Gracie's cousin in real life.
7) There are real goats, chickens, cattle, dogs, cats, turkeys, ducks on the real West farm--but NO horses.
8) I spent a lot of time at the "real Wests" farm--as a teenager--babysitting the kids that lived there--especially Gracie and Jessie's dads--and their aunt.
9) Gracie and Jessie's cousins grew up on a different farm I mention in the books: Chandler's Crossing--Toran and Ginnie's friend, Austin's home.
10) I raised a lamb named Appomattox (because I was fascinated with the Civil War) on the real West farm and showed it at the county fair as a teen.
GINNIE IS AGGRAVATED WITH HER DAD & BROTHER:
She blew out an impatient breath. “That would mean seeing Daddy again and I’m not talking to him.”
Uncle Jake chuckled. “That does complicate things, but being the good uncle that I am, I can’t in good conscience allow you to ride without your helmet at least, knowing your dad prefers you to ride with a saddle and your helmet. Why are you mad at my brother?”
“Because he’s nuts. And so is my brother. Please let go, I’ll be fine.”
Uncle Jake smiled and shook his head. “Can you define ‘nuts’ for me?”
“Crazy. Loony. Nutburgers. Now please let go.”
“Sorry, I need more information than that.”
“Fill in the blank.” He handed her Calliope’s reins. “I am risking getting grounded by riding without my helmet because …”
Ginnie didn’t hesitate, fury rising mounting. “Because my dad is as pigheaded as my brother. They would rather see Toran beat up by Pierce than have me help him. They actually think Pierce is gonna listen to Toran tell him to back off.” Ginnie recalled Pierce’s angry, purple face when he found himself on the theater floor earlier and shook her head. “Pierce isn’t the chatting type.”
a Rafflecopter giveaway